Monday, February 08, 2010

working 9 to 5

Update on the job search. I just finished three interviews this past week, and I've got one more interview in Killeen tomorrow (well, today actually). And I've got three job offers so far.

Door 1: Family practice in Fort Worth. Decent pay, great supervising physician, good benefits. I'd work four 10 hour days M-Th and have the rest off (aside from call once every couple of weeks). Not so great: still using paper charts and old school x-rays, but plans are in the works for an EMR next year.

Door 2: Internal Med in Denton. Crap office, but will be upgrading by September. Very nice attending, but a horrible structure in the office. I'm knocking this one off the list.

Door 3: Dream job working in an emergency room (Level 2 Trauma Unit which was just built last April). Sweet perks, best pay of the bunch. Three 12 hour shifts a week. Down side: it's in Waco. and I'd have waaaaay more responsibility (aka stress).

So what do ya think, 1 or 3?

7 comments:

Soren said...

Go for which ever one will look better on a future resume, which I think is #3. If you don't like it, you can always downgrade and say, "I'm qualified for a better job, but I didn't like the stress/hours/responsibilities/whatever". It's harder to go the other direction.

Somerset said...

Go for 3....said as I just out of my seat and wave three fingers in the air as if you were a contestant on The Price Is Right and I were still in the audience. Just stay away from crazy cult leaders that might burn down the compound in which you live, K
Love you!

Somerset said...

Go for 3....said as I just out of my seat and wave three fingers in the air as if you were a contestant on The Price Is Right and I were still in the audience. Just stay away from crazy cult leaders that might burn down the compound in which you live, K
Love you!

lisa said...

you're 3 for 3!! Congrats, lady! Did you get a chance to meet the people you'd be working with at both places? I would definitely go with the job that has the best coworkers and environment. If you're going to be there for 10-12 hours at a time, your coworkers could make or break it. Good luck!

JOSH AND ANGELA said...

your heart said (via your blog) that #3 was your "dream" job...

I say go with your heart. :)

We are so excited and proud of you!!

bjahlstrom said...

Jackie, it's Brynn! I got your blog from Angela, and I'm so excited to be in touch with you. Um...email Angela for my email address, K? I'm very excited for you, and congratulations on getting a great job! You are beautiful.

jenny said...

OH MY GOSH! Way to go. Go with your gut. My sister-in-law always told me to flip a coin. And then if I was bummed with the outcome, I knew how I really felt about it. Sounds retarded but it seriously works. I'd also go with whichever one has the best people. 12 hour shifts = lots of time with coworkers. WAY TO GOOOO!!!