Friday, July 02, 2010

A bone to pick with the inventor of the Whiff Test

There are some things in my profession that is, how shall we say, unsavory. Digital Rectal Exams… I must raise a choice finger to the inventor of that. Examining a “rash” to find out it’s scabies… fun for the whole family! Well, one of the least favorite tests I encounter is The Whiff Test. Now you’ve got to assume that any test with the word “whiff” and talking about a bodily function is gonna activate the up-chuck reflex, much like when physicians of yore actually tasted urine for glucose. And I can’t emphasize how true this is.

Obviously an attack on a favored sense of mine, the whiff test forces the examiner to sniff a glass slide prepared with a woman’s discharge from her, as one of my patients called it a “cookie,” sprinkled with potassium hydroxide. Performing the baptism is said to cause a fishy odor to develop if the woman is indeed cursed with this disease. Somewhat less appealing than the marvel of the loaves and fishes, this modern day miracle points the way for the power to heal. At least 70% of the time.

So, dear inventor, my deepest gratitude for the daily assault on my olfactory nerve.

3 comments:

Becoming Supersonic said...

Nasty! One more reason for me to not work in the medical field!

Shelly said...

Wait, so where are you?? You need to give me a state. Are you in TX? Are you happy? Need more updates. Need an address. Loves!

bjahlstrom said...

Okay, so that is absolutely hilarious! I also love the way you write, Jackie.

My friend was trying to convince my husband to apply for PA school instead of Pharmacy school, but he cited instances like the one you just described, and said he may not be cut out for the gross stuff.

Way to go, Jackie, for your mettle.