Monday, May 21, 2007

some things in life are free

My mom and I had a great time out in Dutch country. So much so that she is actually considering living on a Mennonite farm for part of the summer/fall. She said to me while driving home "I think I could be Amish" and I burst out laughing.

Next story:

I dropped her off at the airport today and caught the train back to the city center. As I was walking out of the station a tall guy from behind me said in a booming voice "Excuse me miss..." Thinking I dropped something I turn to hear him continue "I was wondering if you wanted to go with me to a free dinner this week." Looking dumbfounded I said "who, me?" to which he replied "Yeah, it's free." I politely declined but had to give him props for being so bold as to ask out a total stranger. Yet, I really wanted to help him with his tactics. So I've thought of a few pointers:

Try to avoid emphasizing that the meal during the date will be free. Unless it's from a dumpster. Then explicitly point that out, because, boy, will you be in for a surprise when she strands your butt on the street.

Don't approach people from behind and start asking out their backpack.

Strike up a conversation while on the train when you've got a captive audience. literally.

Lastly, try not to stand so close as to scare your potential date. Introducing yourself is usually not the time to make your move.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hahahaha! thats a good story for the kids. Yeah! I'm goin to NYC for the summer for an internship! yay being poor!

Becoming Supersonic said...

Haha! Man that is some kick-a advice. My favorite would have to be the last piece. See, living in strange cities produces endless weird stories.

jenny said...

hahaha. I love your blog.