Tuesday, May 20, 2008

medical rite of passage

I performed my first male and female reproductive exams this evening and before walking through those exam room doors I was sure this would be the most uncomfortable experience ever, but after finishing, it wasn't at all what imagined.

There's a group called META whose members specialize in teaching medical students how to do a proper exam by being the patient. Though that sounds liked it'd be so awkward to have the guy that I'm examining directing me what to do, it was probably the best feedback I've ever gotten. and since I was in the room with three other fantastic students, the set up was just what I needed to keep the nerves at bay.

4 comments:

Somerset said...

You know what I always say:
Communication is key to any relationship....a little to the left baby!

Becoming Supersonic said...

Holy crap! All I can say is that you are a brave woman! Wow!

Annalise said...

Oh my gosh I would die. I'm uncomfortable just reading this.

Jackie said...

A, sorry to make you uncomfortable! and if i'm totally honest, i was nauseatingly nervous in the beginning, but my male demonstrator was so amazing that even though my neck started to turn bright red, his calmness and confidence abated a lot of my anxiety. plus, he and my three other classmates didn't mind laughing at ourselves, which was a live saver to me. i know that if i was in any other group or i had any other teacher i would have died.

now could i ever do what they do? H.E.L.L. N.O. but am i so glad that they exist? absolutely.