Saturday, July 07, 2007

First Friday

Every first Friday Old City's galleries and cultural organizations open up their doors and let the public explore for free. I attended this month, and now I know what I will be doing for the rest the firsts for the next year. I started the evening visiting a glass blowing shop complete with a demonstration that required four people to manage one piece. They were making a somewhat large light fixture, and I seriously never knew the amount of work it required. After watching them, I appreciate Chihuly that much more. side note: If you ever go to one wear nothing but your undies, because the heat was overwhelming. At the end of it, I stepped outside into a typical Philly summer and felt refreshed. By the way, the studio offers classes starting in the fall, and even a day class during December to make your own glass ornament. If you get bored at your respective locations you can come take a class with me! I even will let you stay on my deluxe, diamond encrusted, fur lined inflatable twin bed.

Next we wandered around the streets and visited a few more exhibits. We came upon an entrance where a ton of people were gathered, so we squeezed our way in. Come to find out, it was a place called the Old City Jewish Arts Center, and they were about to start dinner. Chris and Alex (the two guys were wandering around with us) didn't want to attend, but Jen and I decided to stay. As we took our seats, I saw this line next to me waiting to wash their hands at a make-shift sink. Interesting, I thought. Investing a little bit more brain power, I realized that Friday night is the Jewish Sabbath and we were right in the middle of their worship service. Gratefully, a lot of people looked like they were in the same boat, so we just stayed where we were (and I'm about 99% positive I took a guy's seat that was standing in the washing line). Luckily, we sat next to a chatty Kathy (or, in this case, a chatty Dan), who attempted to explained everything that was going on. The best way to describe Dan is superficially insightful. He had a laissez faire way about him, with a touch of ambiguous wisdom. He gave explanations such as "everyone around you, for we are all teachers" when asked how many rabbis were in the room. The nice thing, though, was that he politely answered all of my questions, and I got to experience bread pudding made with cinnamon, sugar, broccoli bits, and stacked noodles. I couldn't stop thinking of Friends.

4 comments:

bethy said...

Cinnamon, good! Sugar, good! Broccoli bits, GOOD!!!

jenny said...

deluxe, diamond encrusted, fur lined inflatable twin bed.

^ I LOVE YOU!

Annalise said...

Did it taste like feet???

Becoming Supersonic said...

Wow, that sounds horrible....the pudding that is.