Saturday, June 14, 2008

muppet murder

Yesterday Aubrey and I drove to the outlet mall to look for a few birthday gifts for her boyfriend Kyle. Along the highway stood a billboard that displayed a massive head of Elmo perfectly perched to glare at those who passed by. I turned to her and said,

Me: You know, Elmo creeps me out a little.

Aubrey: Me too... I used to watch Sesame Street when he wasn't as popular. It was more Big Bird, and Oscar the Grouch, and Bert and Ernie when they still had Bert.

Me: What? They got rid of Bert?

Aubrey: Yeah, a few years ago. Since some people complained about the two living together. they thought it implied a gay relationship. you know how everything has to be p.c. these days...

Me: So they killed off a muppet?



After hearing the news, I felt sad for the loss of Bert. Out of all the characters, he's the only one I know that had my laugh and a shared fondness for paper clips. I wanted to do something to show my love for him and the thing I came up with was to say a few words.

Eulogy for Bert:



Bert, I loved everything about you from your boring persona to your unibrow. Your sense of fashion said it all. You reminded me of a guy I used to date, and I'll never forget that. The times I remember best were when you learned how to fish by yelling and when you chatted on a banana. Most of all, you helped me through the rough times of 2nd grade, teaching me that I am special just as I am.

4 comments:

Preethi said...

That's the saddest thing I've ever heard. My favorite children's book ever was called Ernie's Big Mess and involved Ernie, shockingly, making a mess, Bert yelling at him, Ernie running away, Bert finding him, and them making up. Good times.

Becoming Supersonic said...

Wow, they really killed off Bert? PC bastards. Sorry Bert clearly I did not learn my good language from your quality programming. RIP

Ti2xgurr said...

So I will attempt this post again: What the heck? Isn't there some PC thing about NOT killing cartoon characters because it could scar children for life? How PC is that?! And no one has a problem with Big Bird being called Big. And what about cookie monster - don't the PC gurus get upset about him because he fits a certain stereotype regarding overindulgence? I mean, I guess I could see there being a problem with his unibrow, but come on...wouldn't Bert and Ernie just be college students sharing an apartment?! Hey, and why Bert? Why not Ernie? Well, RIP Bert. Ode to Bert!

Shelly said...

Ya, but did you also hear about them changing Cookie Monster to Veggie Monster or something like that. Apparently, eating cookies all the time contributes to childhood obesity. He doesn't just eat cookies anymore. Make with that what you will...
The other day, I had Sesame Street on just to see if it was appropriate for Charlie to watch. There was a segment of "Desperate House Plants" who needed sunlight and water. Mr. Hunk Gardener came along and fulfilled all their "needs". It was obviously a spinoff of the show "Desperate Housewives". If you can imagine, the content of the ABC show and Sesame Street don't really coincide. I was disgusted with the references and innuendo which I SURE HOPE!! none of the kids watching actually understood and recognized where they came from.
Why can't they just stick to the same old material. There really isn't a need to change it. There is a constant new audience growing up and they don't know the difference. If it was good enough for you and I back then why isn't it good enough for the kids now??
That's all.