Wednesday, September 10, 2008

judging a book by its cover

While walking through the halls of yet another hospital today (this time Kent General in Dover) I noticed a trend in medical marketing. Every place I've worked at so far displayed a sign with children dressed up as doctors/nurses reminding folks to wash hands or be quiet or whatever. Sure, at first glance you think everything's alright, perhaps even a little precious, but after so many exposures, you start to become concerned. Concerns like where the hell do these kids get off telling me what to do? They've got to be no older than 4, sans college degrees and permanent teeth. Unless you're Doogie Howser and can chew through steak, I'm not buyin, even if I know better.

In fact, I'm rebelling. My plan tomorrow... avoid soap like the plague while screaming Yankee Doodle Dandy. See that kids, look at what you made me do. you're bringing me down to your level.

side note: I was actually slapped in the face by a two year old girl who was the sister of an 8 month old baby I was treating. Apparently I was giving too much attention to her brother even though the staff took the time to blow up a disposable latex glove and fashion it to look like a chicken. So she climbed up on a step and took her glove and slapped me with it. I swear, I almost quit right there.

4 comments:

Madelyn Joy Lancaster said...

HOLY COW! What a little BRAT! Sorry, they do exist out there... I am glad you didn't up and quit. The world needs medical people like you. :) LOVES!

Becoming Supersonic said...

Hahahahahaa! A couple weeks back I was walking through the aisles of a grocery store and this cute little kid in a stroller looked up at me and smiled....then proceeded to give me a huge slap on the leg. His mother was mortified....I thought it was funny.

Annalise said...

Sorry, but that's kinda funny you got bitch-slapped by a kid. I'm sure I wouldn't be laughing if it was me, though.

Hey, what's your address?

Ti2xgurr said...

Sorry Jackie. I guess I should have warned you that physical violence is a part of the job. Not by you, either, although that's tempting sometimes. Usually it's by kids, though. Usually. I actually love the little kids telling me what to do. It's cuter than adults dressed like adults telling me what to do! Besides, I'm actually kind of glad to know that I'm not the only one who notices stuff posted on walls. I was starting to get concerned that I was experiencing visual hallucinations! Ciao!