Thursday, October 31, 2013

Day 2

"The Constitution only guarantees the American people the right to pursue happiness.  You have to catch it yourself."  -Benjamin Franklin


1. I'm grateful for:
    a. my Aunt being so flexible with my schedule
    b. friends that support me with my marathon training schedule
    c. a ridiculously adorable nephew and family in Halloween costumes

2.  I watched a documentary today about happiness, something I've absolutely loved studying since I discovered the field of positive psychology.  Working in a military town for the past few years, I dealt heavily with psychological disorders. I consistently sought better ways to help my patients empower themselves to live a healthier, happier life.  Wanting to test out the theories and tools from my research, I was my first test subject.  Yep, I would have totally been that guy that discovered H. pylori caused stomach ulcers by drinking a full glass of the nasty bacteria.  So I implemented the recommendations including balancing my life/work schedule, investing/building my social relationships, exercising consistently, keeping a journal, and developing a more meaningful relationship with my Heavenly Father (it's so funny to see the variety of labels the scholarly authors put on God... Spiritual Being, Higher Power, etc. Call Him what you will, He exists).  It is an understatement to say that these changes empowered me not only in my practice, but my personal life.  There's something to be said about looking a patient square in the eyes and solidly testifying that these techniques actually work.  I will forever be deeply grateful for those years of my life.

3. Exercise: Wii Fitness (Just Dance) for 30 min, trick or treating (counterproductive, no?) ;)

4. Meditation video

5. Random Act of Kindness: sent a letter thanking an old friend who helped me find ways to serve while was in Texas.

No comments: