Thursday, January 02, 2014

Imma Need You to Commit Miss Jackie

Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going. -Jim Ryan

So it's the New Year and I've already started it off on the left foot, which is... GREAT, because the right foot is sure to follow.  It's all about perspective, my friend.  

Let's talk goals:
Physical:
  • 2 big races this year, LOTOJA or equivilant, & I'm thinking of finally tackling a marathon 
  • 31 lbs gone by summer.  Non-negotiable.
  • Clean up the diet.  Replace fruits for the crap sugars.  No candy from the candy dish at work for 1 month... that's right, I'm talking to you, little Miss 5 Fingers Discount Queen  
Spiritual:
  • Find ways to serve the community at large
  • These gals at church need some encouragement; be that encouragement, Miss Jackie.  You've got that calling now, fulfill it to the fullest.  Appreciate the sacrament more fully, prepare for it.  Find a way to connect to Him more deeply.
  • Get to know the various religious organizations of SLC; learn of their culture and appreciate their insight
Financial:
  • I was gonna say "Create and live by a budget," but really, I know how to save.  Like, really really well.  What I don't do is spend on the joys of life.  So this year I'm budgeting one day a month specifically for Jackie.  It shall hence forth be known as "Zen and the Art of Jackie Maintenance" (ZAJM for short).  Haircut, massage, mani/pedi, sure.  Hike, bike, dance... even better. Learn to rock climb in Utah, surf on the beaches of Cali, or kayak in Alaska, heck yeah! Confession: I may have just Googled How to Pamper Yourself to get ideas.  Suggestions?
  • Replenish Savings, fully contribute to Retirement Accounts
Mental/Emotional:
  • Read "Feeling Good: The New Mood Therapy" by David Burns.  So many therapists that I worked with suggested that as the #1 read for our patients.  I feel mildly like a hypocrite that I've recommended it to many o' patient without reading it in its entirety.  That's gonna change.
  • By the end of the year, fully implement the 5 points of Positive Psychology in your little life (Each day: 3 points of gratitude, journal 1 positive experience within 24 hrs of it happening, exercise daily, meditate, and random act of kindness)
Professionally
  • On more days of the week than not, study from the best books
  • You're paying for a JAAPA subscription, why don't you take advantage of the CME credits (for free, mind you!)
  • Start looking into what needs to be done to retake the boards... it's coming up sooner than you think

On that note we're working on completing two of the FiVE:
 I'm grateful for:
1. Lisa's sense of humor.  That girl is hilarious :)
2.  Kristi's undeniable determination.  She's keeping at her goals, which motivates me to keep to mine
3.  Great conversations with dear friends.  One of my dearest friends and I talked last night for like 2 hours, felt like minutes and millennia all rolled into one.  He said it best, "As cliche as this is Jackie, this just flowed"

Exercise: JM Biggest Loser DVD before work this AM.  Bonus, no candy from the candy dish!  Woot!

3 comments:

Morgan said...

This is so awesome! Way to be Jackie - you're an inspiration.

Jacqueline said...

So great to hear from you Morgan! Thank you for the support. It's priceless, really

Unknown said...

I love the goals, an I love you!
Hope to talk soon!