Wednesday, November 06, 2013

Day 8

"True happiness involves the pursuit of worthy goals.  Without dreams, without risks, only a trivial semblance of living can be achieved".  Dan Buettner

1.  I'm grateful for:
     a.  the pure entertainment that can be found at community council meetings
     b.  finally jumping through all the hoops to get into the MSA ward
     c.  tying up loose ends from Texas

2.  So I went to a city council meeting tonight for the Greater Avenues area.  Something about civic duty mixed with curiosity prompted me to walk through those doors, and I came home feeling like I hit a gold mine of stories.  Unique characters with seriously intriguing personalities will be the highlight of future posts.  Tonight one borderline elderly woman spent a solid 5-10 minutes discussing a "traffic jam" in our little residential area at "rush hour" due to a maintenance truck taking up a lane.  She said she couldn't locate the workers, for all she knew they were "out to lunch" (said in a very stern, concerned voice with furrowed brow and all).  This perturbed her enough to call the city and file a formal complaint.  Flash backs of rush hour Dallas, or Philly or, oh gosh, miserable LA driving came to my mind.  But!  I wholeheartedly admit that it is because of these kinds of people that the community keeps functioning at a high standard.  So, thank you, my new friend, for spending your retirement years on hold listening to seriously crappy music.

3.  Exercise: house cleaning and cooking of meals for the next two weeks

4.  Meditation: UCLA has a Mindful Awareness Research Center with free guided meditations.  Sweet!  I started with the first breathing meditation.

5.  Random Act of Kindness: A little hello to a friend from the Dallas area

No comments: