Thursday, November 07, 2013

Day 9

"Anyone who imagines that bliss is normal is going to waste a lot of time running around shouting that he’s been robbed. The fact is that most putts don’t drop, most beef is tough, most children grow up to just be people, most successful marriages require a high degree of mutual toleration, most jobs are more often dull than otherwise. 

    Life is like an old time rail journey…delays…sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders and jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling burst of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”   - Gordon B. Hinckley



1.  I'm grateful for:
   a.  Charity helping me move a box spring to brother's place.
   b.  Aunt Lorri forgiving me for completely spacing our sewing date
   c.  My new friend Jared letting Charity and I borrow his truck for said move

2.  It's been mixed emotions today.  A battle between doubt and faith, and if I'm honest, I'm struggling a bit with the hopes of my heart and the reality that is today.  Having said that, there were many moments today where I had happiness.  One goes as follows: I was baking cookies and I was short an egg.  What better time to meet the neighbors... I stroll over two doors down where it looks like someone might be home and met two wonderful women, Ana and Heather, and their two dogs Lexi and Niki.  Lovely people, welcoming, kind, Ana is a retired ICU nurse and plays the piano and invited me over for duets.  Heather is hilarious, and shared a story of how one time while visiting Dallas she stayed in a hotel in a blue zone, where she couldn't buy a drink; she had to travel all the way to the red zone to find that elusive beer.  Made me laugh.  I'm excited to learn more of the friends on the block.

3. Exercise: a walk

4. Meditation: Ordinances in the Salt Lake Temple

5. Random Act of Kindness:  While exiting the temple, there was a man with anti-Mormon literature and was rather loud at voicing his opinion.  Another man called back to him somewhat mockingly, which only exacerbated the situation.  I chose to say, with all the love and kindness I know how, a simple "Have a good night," with a deep kind of smile that comes from the heart.  I could see it softened him in his eyes, even if it was for just a brief moment, and I realized that he was a man that just needed to be loved.

No comments: